Spurs and Magpies will be playing each other in the opening day of this new season. This is expected to be the most competitive match of the opening day as they finished last season in 4th and 5th position.
Saturday, 18th April, Sports Direct Arena
Newcastle will be hosting the sharp match as the starting day of the season as both teams will be fighting for the Champions league place this season. Last season Spurs finished in fourth but the Chelsea’s successful champions league haul keep them away from the Champions league as the blues ended in sixth and qualified for the tournament as a defending Champions. Newcastle finished fifth just below the Spurs. Both teams will be searching for the victory to start their new successful campaign.
Newcastle: Krul; Santon, Simpson, Perch, Tarloy; Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Gutierrez, Tiote; Ba, Cisse.
Tottenham: Friedel; Walker, Vortenghen, Kabul, Ekotto; Lennon, Sandro, Sigurdsson, Bale; Van Der Vaart; Defoe
Prediction: Newcastle 1-1 Tottenham
Players to watch
Tottenham: Gylfi Sigurdsson
Newcastle: Papiss Demba Cisse
Both Sigurdsson and Papiss Demba Cisse had a wonderful season last term as Cisse scored 13 goals in 14 appearances in the second half of the season. Sigurdsson joined Swansea on loan from Hoffenheim in the second half of the season and helped Swansea to finish mid-table with 7 goals and 3 assists. It is yet to see if this two players cab continue their last years form.
- It will be first premier league match for Andres Villas Boas as a Spurs manager.
- Both signings Sigurdsson and Vortonghen will looking forward for a league debut.
- Youth striker Harry Kane might be given chance due to the lack of the strikers in the squad.
- Modric is doubtful for the match due to his nearing exit to the Spanish Capital.
- Yohan Cabaye, Davide Santon, Chieck Tiote and Demba Ba are doubtful due to lack of match fitness.
- Hatem Ben Arfa has already been ruled out through injury
- New signing Dutch International Van Anita will be looking forward to debut.